Al-Anon is for families, relatives, and friends whose lives have been affected by someone else’s drinking. If someone close to you, such as a family member, friend, coworker, or neighbor, has or has had a drinking problem, the following questions may help you determine if Al-Anon is for you. Please check any that may apply:
1. Do you constantly seek approval and affirmation?
2. Do you fail to recognize your accomplishments?
3. Do you fear criticism?
4. Do you overextend yourself?
5. Have you had problems with your own compulsive behavior?
6. Do you have a need for perfection?
7. Are you uneasy when your life is going smoothly, continually anticipating problems?
8. Do you feel more alive in the midst of a crisis?
9. Do you still feel responsible for others, as you did for the problem drinker in your life?
10. Do you care for others easily, yet find it difficult to care for yourself?
11. Do you isolate yourself from other people?
12. Do you respond with fear to authority figures and angry people?
13. Do you feel that individuals and society in general are taking advantage of you?
14. Do you have trouble with intimate relationships?
15. Do you confuse pity with love, as you did with the problem drinker?
16. Do you attract and/or seek people who tend to be compulsive and/or abusive?
17. Do you cling to relationships because you are afraid of being alone?
18. Do you often mistrust your own feelings and the feelings expressed by others?
19. Do you find it difficult to identify and express your emotions?
20. Do you think someone’s drinking may have affected you?
Alcoholism is a family disease. Those of us who have lived with this disease as children sometimes have problems which the Al-Anon program can help us to resolve. If you have answered yes to any of the above, Al-Anon may help.
e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
East Valley Information Center
1320 E. Broadway #109
Mesa, AZ 85204
Office Hours: 9:30am to 4:30pm
You can also contact Al-Anon/Alateen by calling the nearest Al-Anon Information Service, in the section (help and info centers) of this website, or by calling 1-888-4AL-ANON (888-425-2666), 8am to 6pm ET, Monday through Friday.
Copyright Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc.